Gojju Avalakki is a delicacy from Karnataka. Avalakki in Kannada – thats Beaten rice in English, Povu in konkani and Poha in Hindi. I have already put up Alu poha, Poha Upkari and Konkani poha on this blog and here comes Gojju Avalakki. Gojju is a gravy to which powdered beaten rice is added and seasoned with necessary ingredients. It tastes really yummy and it can even serve a lunch box dish as well. Here it is.
What you need to have:
1. Medium Avalakki powder – 2 cups
2. Sambar powder – 1 Teaspoon (earlier recipe here)
3. Rasam powder – 1/2 Teaspoon (earlier recipe here)
4. Jaggery – As per taste
5. Tamarind pulp – 2 Teaspoons
6. Salt – As per taste
Ingredients of Gojju Avalakki
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Blackgram Dal – 1 Teaspoon
3. Asafoetida powder – 1 Teaspoon
4. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
5. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
6. Sesame seeds – 1and 1/2 Teaspoon
7. Peanuts – A handful
8. Curry leaves – 3-4 Strands
9. Chopped coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
10. Grated fresh coconut – 1/3 cup
11. Cooking oil – 5-6 Teaspoons
Ingredients of seasoning and garnishing
What you do with what you have:
1. Sieve Beaten rice in the suji siever and powder it in the mixer to a coarse consistency.
Beaten rice coarse powder
2. Chop jaggery fine, squeeze tamarind in water and add jaggery, salt to it and bring it to boil. On cooling add both rasam powder and sambar powder to it. The liquid mix is as shown in the image below.
3. 4. Place a spatula and dry roast both cumin seeds and sesame seeds separately. On cooling powder both of them and mix it to the liquid mix from step 2 to it.
Tamarind, jaggery, salt and the powder mix
4. Soak powdered beaten rice from step 1 to it and keep it aside for 10 minutes till it is done.
Soaked Beaten rice powder
5. Place a skillet with 5-6 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating add mustard seeds to it. When it starts sputtering add black gram dal to it after which you may add peanuts. When it is fried add curry leaves to it. Also add turmeric powder, asafoetida powder one after another and stir well.
Seasoning in progress
6. Add soaked Beaten rice powder mix from step 3 to it and stir well. Close it with a lid and simmer the flame for about 5 minutes.
Soaked Beaten rice powder added to the seasoning
7. Add chopped coriander leaves and fresh grated coconut to it.
Ready to serve Gojju Avalakki
How long it takes: 45 Minutes
Number of servings: 3-4