The simple “Dalithoy” is the konkani dal which I have put up already on this blog and today I would like to put up this Garlicky dal which is called by the name Lasooni dal in Konkani. Its uncomplicated in preparation and great in taste – what more can you ask for and so naturally its among the favorite in the Mangalore region. Try out and leave your feedback !
What you need to have:
1. Tuvar Dal – 1/2 cup
2. Green chilly – 3
3. Salt – To taste
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Cookin oil – 3 Teaspoons
2. Garlic pods – 8-10
3. Red chilli pieces – A few
Ingredients of Garlicky Dal
What you do with what you have:
1. Peal and chop garlic fine and keep it aside as shown in image 1. Cut red chilli into pieces as well.
2. Wash and soak Tuvar dal for about 20 minutes in water. Add 1 teaspoon raw cooking oil and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder to it. Cook it in the cooker for about 20 minutes till soft. Open the lid of the cooker on releasing the pressure add slit green chillies to it and keep it aside for about 10 minutes.
Cooked Tuvar Dal
3. Transfer cooked dal into a broad based bowl, bring it to required consistency adding required quantity of water, salt and bring it to boil.
Cooked dal being boiled with salt & Green chilly
4. Place a spatula with 3-4 Teaspoons of cooking oil in it. When heated add chopped garlic pods from step-1 to it and fry till light brown . On being done add red chilly pieces to it and switch off the flame.
Garlic seasoning is ready
5. Add the seasoning from step 3 to the cooked dal from step 3. Serve hot with rice and a spicy curry. Enjoy !
Ready to serve Garlicky Dal
A closer view of the dish
Number of servings: 3
How long it takes: 45 minutes