Mavinkayi in Kannada – thats raw mango in English and Ambuli in Konkani. Today I am putting up yet another rice item ( see previous items here ). This involves the raw mango with a very simple Masala. The fragrance of Fenugreek makes this rice very tasty and yummy. We normally prepare these recipes not only to reduce the work load during summer of having to stand near the gas stove for long hours. Here is the recipe:
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Raw Mango – 1 cup
2. Basumati rice – 1 cup
3. Fresh grated coconut – 1 cup
4. Fenugreek seeds – 2 Teaspoon
5. Red chilly – 3-4
6. Cooking oil – 4-5 Teaspoons
Ingredients of Mavinkayi Chithranna
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and drain water from Basumati rice and keep aside for a while. Cook it in the cooker as usual in such a way that the grains are separate.
2. Wash, peal and chop raw mango and grate raw coconut.
3. Place a skillet on the medium flame with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. When heated add red chilli to it. On being fried kepp it aside.
Red chilli being fried in oil
4. In the same oil add fenugreek seeds and fry for a while. When done add grated coconut from step 1 to it and fry till crispy but not so much as to change the color of the coconut. Switch off the flame and finally add fried chilly to it as well
ingredients of wet masala being fried
5. On cooling add Chopped raw Mango from Step 2 to the fried masala and is as shown in the image below.
Wet masala ingredients
6. Grind the wet masala ingredients in the mixer adding very little water to make thick chutney.
Ground Wet Masala
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 2 Teaspoons
2. Blackgram dal – 1 Teaspoons
3. Peanut seeds – A handful
4. Red chilly – 1
5. Curry leaves – 2-3 Strands
Ingredients of Seasoning
7. Place a skillet with 3-4 Teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the medium flame. When heated add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters add Blackgram dal and fried peanuts and let them fry until the peanuts are crispy.
8. Add curry leaves and broken red chilly pieces at this point. Add the ground Masala from step 5 to it and salt while sprinkling some water to it. Keep stiring till it becomes thick.
Wet masala being cooked in the seasoning
9. Mix cooked rice from step 1 to it and stir in well till it mixes well.
Cooked rice being added to the masala
10. Ready to serve Mavinkayi Chithranna is as shown in the image below. Enjoy with sweet curds or even veg-salad.
Ready to serve Mavinkayi Chithranna with sweet curds
Number of servings: 4
How long it takes: 45 minutes