Beans lentils is available in 3-4 varieties. The most common among them is the white beans and the rajma beans. Today I would like to put up this white beans sambar which is one of the favorite dishes of all of us in my mom’s family. This dish tastes great with the addition of tomatoes, potatoes and onions. I have in addition added even drumstick as well to it for added flavour. It is a good combo with rice and mild curry or the plain papad.
What you need to have:
1. White Beans – 1/2 cup
2. Potaoes chopped – 1/4 cup
3. Onions chopped – 1 medium
4. Tomato – 1 medium
5. Drumstick chopped – A few cut pieces
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Onions chopped very fine – 1/4 cup
2. Oil for seasoning – 3-4 teaspoons
Dry white Beans
Ingredients of White Beans sambar
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak white beans in water overnight. Soaked Beans is as shown in image 2.
2. Peal potato, onion and chop it as shown in image 2. Also wash and chop drumstick into 2″ long pieces and keep it aside.
3. Cook all the chopped veggies and the white beans in the cooker in 2 separate bowls till smooth as usual for about 20 minutes. Add a little salt to the veggies so that it is not overdone.
Cooked Veggies and the White Beans
4. Transfer the cooked to a broad based bowl and add chopped tomatoes to it and let it cook till smooth on low flame.
Chopped tomato being cooked with the veggies
5. When tomatoes is cooked, dissolve 1.5 teaspoons of sambar powder in a little water and add it to the cooked veggies from step 5 to it and bring it to boil.
6. Place a spatula with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. When heated add chopped onions and keep frying till it is transparent and light brown. Just season it to sambar from step 5. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Ready to serve white beans sambhar is as shown in the image below. Enjoy with rice and plain papad.
Ready to serve White Beans Sambar
How long it takes: 45 minutes (Other than soaking beans over night)