Ridge guard is one among the healthy vegetables. Even the tender peal of it is used to prepare chutney which I have already put up here. We also shallow fry it with rice atta masala mix. Today I would like to put up ridge guard chutney which is an easy recipe for the starters as well. But too take care to use tender guard for this dish.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Tender Ridge guard – 2 cups
Chopped Ridge guard
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Grated fresh coconut – 1/3 cup
2. Green chilly – 2-3 (less spicy)
3. Tamarind/Bilimbi – A pinch /2
4. Asafoetida soft – A pinch
5. Mustard seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
6. Cooking oil – 1 Teaspoon
7. Salt _ To taste
Ingredients of Wet Masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and chop ridge guard fine and cook in the cooker until it is soft.
Cooked Ridge guard
2. Place a spatula with 1 Teaspoon of cooling oil in it on medium flame. When heated add asafoetida to it and fry it till light brown and crispy. Remove and add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters switch off the flame.
3. Grind the ingredients of wet masala in the mixer adding a little water to a medium fine consistency. Add fried mustard and asafoetida from step 3 to it and grind the masala. Add the cooked ridge guard from step 2 to it and run the mixer on wipper blade so that it turns medium fine in consistency adding required quantity of salt to it. Ready to serve Ridge gurd chutney is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Ridge guard chutney
How long it takes: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 2-3