Okra in English is Bendekayi in kannada and Bhenda in konkani. I have already put up Okra dosa and Okra in coconut gravy (Bhenda sukke). Okra is a favorite veggie in my family and I usually prepare okra dishes at least twice in a week since it is available through out the year. Today I would like to put up Okra stir fry which is a good combination with simple dal and rice. Here it is and is a good recipe for the starters.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Okra (Tender) – 2 cups
2. Chopped Potato- 1/4 cup
Fresh Tender Okras and Potato
Chopped Okra and Potato
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Chopped onions – 1/3 cup
2. Chopped tomato – A little
3. Dhania-Jeera powder – 1 Teaspoon
4. Chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon(Less spicy)
5.Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
6. Cooking oil – 4-5 Teaspoons
Ingredients of seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and wipe the okras with a clean dry cloth and chop it fine, Wash, peal and chop potato as well fine as shown in the image 2.
2. Wash, peal and chop onions fine, also wash and chop tomato fine and keep it aside as shown in image 3.
3. Place a skillet with 4-5 Teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add chopped Tomatoes from step 2 to it and fry till done.
Chopped tomato being fried in oil
4. When fried add chopped onions from step 2 to it and also required quantity of salt to the dish so that onions don’t get burnt.
Chopped onion being fried in oil
5. When onions turn transparent add turmeric powder, dhania-Jeera powder, chilly powder to it and stir well.
All powders being added to the seasoning
6. Add chopped Potatoes to the seasoning and cook it till done closing the skillet with a lid.
Chopped potatoes being cooked in the seasoning
7. Finally add chopped tender okra from step-1 to it and cook till done closing it with a lid but without adding water.
Ready to serve Okra stir fry is as shown in the image below. Serve hot with rice and dal.
Ready to serve Okra stir fry
Number of servings: 4
How long it takes: 30 minutes