I have already put up Avrekayi Saru and Gravy. On to the Avrekayi Roti now. This Roti tastes great and people prepare it in different ways. I have steamed Avrekalu and mixed it with rice atta and prepared the dough. Some people just crush it raw, add all other ingredients and prepare the roti. I might just try the other way of doing it the next time around but for now here is how I typically prepare it !
What you need to have:
1. Cut Banana leaves – a few
2. Rice Atta – 1 cup
3. Avrekalu – 1 cup (pealed twice)
4. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
5. Green chillies – 2-3
6. Fresh grated coconut – 2 Tablespoons
7. Chopped Coriander leaves – A handful
8. Oil to roast rotis – 3 Tablespoons
9. Salt – To taste
Double Pealed Avrekalu
Ingredients of Avrekalu Roti
What you do with what you have:
1. Peal outer peal of the beans and soak it in water for about an hour and peal its thin skin again and is as shown in image 1.
2. Cook pealed beans in the cooker till smooth adding a litle salt.
3. Transfer cooked beans from step-2 to a broad bowl and mix rice atta, chopped green chillies, grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves, a little salt and enough water to make the dough to a spreading consistency.
4. Wash cut banana leaves and wipe it with a clean towel and spread the roti dough to required thickness dampening your hands in water so that one is able to spread it neat.
Roti dough being spread on cut Banana leaf
5. Place a Dosa Griddle on medium flame with 2-3 Teaspoons of cooking oil on it. When heated just place the roti facing the griddle so that it is roasted well there. (we do not cover roti with another piece of leaf.)
Roti being roasted
6. When roti roasts, the leaf gets crumpled and the aroma of the same is absorbed by the roti.
Banana leaf being removed
7. Remove the leaf and allow it to roast for a while.
Roti being roasted on removing the leaf
8. Just lift the roti splash a little oil on the griddle and reverse the roti.
Roti being roasted on the reverse
Enjoy hot with the dry chutney powder of your choice. Yummmmmmmm!!!!
Ready to serve Avrekalu roti with Dry chutney powder
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of Rotis: 6 of above size ( is generally good enough for 3 adults )