I have already put up a few dishes of Avrekalu (Surthi Beans) earlier on my blog. Today I would like to put up Avrekalu mixture which is an all time favorite of all my friends during my college days. I just gave a try and thought would put it up today. It is a spicy mixture with the addition of peanuts, Dalia dal, Cashews, Raisins and even dry copra (optional) with some masala powders.
What you need to have:
1. Double pealed Avrekalu – 2 cups
2. Beaten Rice (Medium) – 1/2 cup
3. Peanuts – 1/2 cup
4. Cashews – 1/2 cup
5. Raisins – A handful
6. Cooking oil to fry – 2 cups
Double pealed Surthi Beans
Ingredients of Avrekalu Mixture
What you do with what you have:
1. Peal fresh Avrekalu and soak the same in water for about an hour and peal it again and is as shown in image 1. Dry it on a cloth under the fan for about 30 minutes. (just pinch with your nails and if it pricks in then that is fine.)
2. Place a skillet with 2 cups of cooking oil in it. When heated just place the spatula with holes in it and place pealed Avrekalu from step 1 into it. Fry it till it is crispy. (Please do not over do it to avoid it from turning hard). Transfer it to a colander so that extra oil will filter out.
Avrekalu being fried in oil
3. Also fry peanuts in the same oil in the similar way till done.
Peanuts being fried in oil
4. Fry Beaten rice as well in batches in the same way till it is crispy and swollen.
Beaten rice being fried in oil
Ingredients of Masala powder:
1. Chilli powder – 3-4 Teaspoons
2. Turmeric powder – 2 Teaspoons
3. Salt – To taste
4. Asafoetida powder – 1 Teaspoon
5. Cumin seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
6. Sesame seeds – 1 Teaspoon
7. Curry leaves – 4-5 Strands
5. Mix all the fried ingredients from step-2 to step-4 in a colander and keep it aside. Place a skillet on a low flame and dry roast curry leaves in it in such a way that it turns crispy but does not change the color.
6. Mix all the powders and roasted curry leaves together. Place a dry skillet on low flame and when heated put in the fried mixture from step 5 to it and also the powders and dry roasted curry leaves to it and mix well and immediately switch off the flame. The Avrekalu mixture is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Avrekalu Mixture
7. Store it in air tight containers and will remain afresh if fresh cooking oil is used for frying.
How long it takes: 45 minutes (Other than soaking and pealing of the Beans)