I have already put up a few of the items of this fresh Beans. Today I would like to put up yet another item to the one pot meals/rice items on this blog. Avrekayi Chitranna is very popular among the Kannada people of Bangalore/Mysore/Hassan area. This recipe can be prepared like the simple Lemon rice but will taste better and unique with Vangi bhath masala powder. Here it is:
What you need to have:
1. Basumati Rice – 1 cup
2. Surthi Beans (pealed twice) – 1 cup
3. Chopped Capsicum – 1/2 cup
4. Chopped Potatoes – 1/2 cup
5. Cooking oil – 4-5 Teaspoons
7. Salt – To taste
Chopped Veggies and Pealed Surthi Beans
Cooked Basumati Rice
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, drain water from Basumati rice and keep it aside for about 15 minutes so that it dries a little as shown in image-1.
2. Cook it in the cooker as usual adding required quantity of water so that the grains on cooking should be as shown in the image 3.
3. Wash and chop Capsicum into bite size pieces. Wash, peal and cut Potatoes lengthwise and peal Surthi Beans twice and keep it aside as shown in image 2.
4. Cook both chopped potatoes, doubly pealed Surthi Beans in the cooker in two seperate containers adding little salt but very little water so that it is not over cooked as shown in the image below.
Cooked Surthi Beans and Potatoes
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Blackgram Dal – 1 Teaspoon
3. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
4. Curry leaves – 2-3 Strands
5. Cashews – A handful
6. Dry Copra (grated )- 2 Teaspoons
7. Vangi Bhath powder – 3 Teaspoons (commercially available or refer to my powder recipe)
Ingredients of Seasoning
Ingredients of vangi bhath powder dry roasted
5. Place a skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add mustard seeds to it. When it sputers add blackgram dal to it.
Seasoning in progress
6. When both are fried add cashews to it. When fried add curry leaves, and chopped capsicum from step 3 to it and let it cook for a while on low flame adding a little salt to it.
Chopped Capsicum being fried in seasoning
7. When capsicum is fried, add cooked Surthi Beans, potatoes from step 4 to it and stir well with a wooden spatula so that it is not crushed. Mix vangi bhath powder with grated copra with your hands. Add the powder along with the cooked rice and stir well. Ready to serve Surthi Beans chithranna is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Surthi Beans Chithranna
And serve with sweet curds !
Avrekai Chithranna with sweet curds
How long it takes: – 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4-5