After Spinach in Moongdal and more recently Spinach Paratha, Spinach makes another appearance this time as Spinach Gravy. This is among the spicy dishes and does not need dal. Very easy and very tasty !
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Spinach – 3 cups
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 cup
2. Red chillies -4-5
3. Turmeric powder- 1 teaspoon
4. Onion – 1 small
5. Ginger -1″ piece
6. Bilimbi – 2-3 OR tamarind – A little
Ingredients of Wet Masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop spinach fine as shown in image 1. Cook it in the cooker in the cooker as usual for about 20 minutes till done.
2. Place a spatula with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add red chilli to it and switch off the flame and just stir fry in it.
3. Grind all the ingredients of wet masala in the mixer including fried red chillies adding water in steps to a medium fine consistency.
Ground Wet Masala
4. Transfer the cooked spinach to broad based bowl and add ground wet masala from step 3 to it. Add required quantity of salt to it and bring it to boil.
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Crushed Garlic pods – 8-10
2. Cooking oil – 3-4 teaspoons
5. Place a spatula with 4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add crushed garlic pods to it and fry till light brown. Season it to the dish and it is ready to serve now.
Ready to serve Vali Bendhi
Enjoy hot with rice. One can even enjoy it with jwari roti. Yummmm !!!!
How long it takes: 45 Minutes
Number of servings: 4