Sakkare pongal. The name itself suggests that it is a sweet dessert. But its prepared using jaggery, not sugar. It is prepared during the Makara Sankaranthi festival to celebrate the harvest. Occasionally we even prepare it for tiffin along with some spicy dish. Though it is not that popular among the younger generation it still is a tasty dish you must try. It is prepared in combination with Moong Dal, Basumati rice, Jaggery, pure ghee etc.,
What you need to have:
1. Greengram Dal/Moongdal – 1/2 cup
2. Basumati rice – 1 cup
3. Normal milk – 2 cups
4. Cashews – A handful
5.Raisins – A handful
6. Chopped Jaggery – As per taste(I have used 2 cups)
7. Cardamom – 10
8. Pure ghee -1/2 cup
Ingredients of Moong Dal Kichadi
Dry fruits and other ingredients
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and drain water from rice and fry it in pure ghee . Also fry Moong Dal in pure ghee separately. Make sure that it does not get burnt. Just to get rid of the raw smell it is fried in pure ghee. Fried ingredients are shown in the image below.
2. Cook fried dal and rice in the cooker as usual for about 20 minutes adding normal milk and water in required proportion till smooth.
Cooked Moong dal and rice mix
3. Place a skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of pure ghee in it. When heated fry cashews and raisins in it till done.
Dry fruits being fried in pure ghee
4. Transfer cooked rice and Moongdal mix from step 2 to fried dry fruits mix from step 4 to it.
Jaggery being added to the cooked Dal and rice mix
5. Add pure ghee inbetween when it gets mixed with jaggery. Bring it to boil on low flame only adding a little water and milk. Finally add fresh grated coconut and cardamom powder. Mix well and serve with pure ghee.
Ready to serve Moong Dal kichadi
6. Serve hot either with pure ghee or with chopped Bananas.
Moongdal kichadi decorated with chopped Bananas
Kichadi being served with decorated dry fruits
How long it takes: 1 hour
Number of serves: 4-5