Sesame (Ellu in Kannada and Theelu in Konkani) is prominent masala item. But then we also prepare dishes where this is the primary ingredient – ellunde, ellu holige, ellu dry chutney powder some of which you will find on this blog. (Ellu juice coming soon !) Today though I would like to put up Ellu Burfi with sugar – popular, easy and tasty.
What you need to have:
1. White Ellu (Ordinary) – 1 cup
2. Sugar -1/2 cup
3. Cashews chopped – a handful
4. Cardamom – 4-5
5. Pure ghee – 4-5 teaspoons
Ingredients of Ellu Burfi
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a spatula with 2-3 teaspoons of pure ghee in it. On melting fry cashew pieces in it till light brown and crispy.
Cashew pieces being fried in pure ghee
2. Wash and drain water from sesame and dry roast the same in a skillet on medium flame. Keep stiring and when all of them sputer it means that it has roasted completely and it swells on roasting. Peal and powder cardamom and add it to roasted sesame seeds.
Ellu being dry roasted
3. Dry roasted Ellu and fried cashews is as shown in the image below.
Dry roasted Ellu, fried Cashews
4. Powder sugar in the mixer. Transfer it to a pan and add pure ghee to it. Place it on medium flame. It solidifies and melts later on stiring continuously.
Sugar being melted in pure ghee
4. Add roasted Sesame and fried cashew mix from step 2 and step 1 respectively to melted sugar syrup immediately and switch off the flame. Mix well.
Ellu-Cashew mix added to the sugar syrup
5. Spread the mix on a wooden plank and before it cools and hardens cut it failing which you wont be able to cut neat little pieces.
Ellu Burfi mix being cut into pieces
Ready to serve Ellu Burfi is as shown in the image below.
A closer view of the Burfi
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of Burfis: 25