Now is the season of the Jack Fruit ( Panas in Konkani and Halasina hannu in Kannada ) and get the raw Jackfruit by April/May. We prepare a number of dishes and also we shallow fry it which tastes really great. Today I would like to put up the popular dish Kadge Chakko. People prepare it in two different ways – either a) cut it into bite size pieces, cook it and just crush it in the masala and season it. Or b) it can also be chopped fine and season it in the masala. I prefer the second method since one gets to eat the small pieces with the masala. This dish is a good combo with Konkani dal. Here it is.
Jack being halved
Skin of the jack being scraped
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Jack fine – 3 cups
Jack chopped fine
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Fresh grated coconut – 1 cup
2. Red chilly (Byadgi) -3-4
3. Blimbi – 4
4. Coriander seeds – 4 teaspoons
5. Blackgram Dal – 1 teaspoon
6. Asafoetida (soft) – Size of a peanut
7. Jaggery – As per taste
8. Salt – To taste
9. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
Ingredients of Wet Masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Cut Jack into half as shown in image 2. Wipe of the sticky white fluid with a chopped lemon ring. Scrape the skin of it as shown in image 3.
2. Chop it to a fine consistency as shown image-4.
3. Cook it in the cooker as usual for about 30 minutes till soft adding a very litle water and salt.
4. Place a spatula with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. When heated fry asfoetida in it till crisp. Keep it aside and in the same oil fry Blackgram dal and coriander seeds in it. Keep it aside and fry red chillis adding a little more oil in it. Add all the fried ingredients to the wet masala. Grind the ingredients in the mixer adding water in steps to a medium fine consistency. Ground wet masala is as shown in the image below.
Ground Wet Masala
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 2 Teaspoons
2. Blackgram Dal – 1 Teaspoon
3. Red chilli – 1
4. Curry leaves – 2 strands
Ingredients of Seasoning
5. Place a skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. When heated, add mustard seeds to it. When it starts sputtering add blackgram dal to it. When fried add broken red chillis and curry leaves to it.
Seasoning of the dish in progress
6. When done add ground masala from step 4 to it and let it cook in the seasoning till it thickens.
Ground Wet Masala being cooked
7. Now add cooked raw jack from step-3 to it and let it be on the low flame till it absorbs all the masala.
Kadge Chakko being cooked
Ready to serve Kadge Chakko is as shown in the image below. Serve with rice and konkani dalithoy.
Ready to serve Kadge Chakko
How long it takes: 1 hour
Number of servings: 5-6