We South Indians prepare a variety of sweet poli. Popular among them the Pooran poli, Soyi poli, Sanjeera, Rathlayachi poli and Ellu holige. Polis are similar to stuffed parathas excep the stuffing here is sweet rather than spicy. Today I would like to put up sweet coconut flat bread which is called Soyi Poli in Konkani and Kayi holige in Kannada. In Tamilnadu people prepare it as prasadam for Janmashtami as well. Here it is:
Ingredients of the outer dough:
1. Whole wheat Atta – 1 cup
2. Maida – 2-3 Teaspoons
3. Salt – To taste
4. Oil to knead – 4-5 Teaspoons
Ingredients of the outer dough
Ingredients of the sweet stuffing:
1. Fresh Grated Coconut – 2 cups
2. Chopped Jaggery – 3/4 cup (as per taste)
3. Cardamom – 10
4. Poppy seeds – 2 teaspoons
4. Pure ghee – 2 Tablepoons
Ingredients of sweet stuffing
What you do with what you have:
1. Grate coconut, chop jaggery fine, peal powder cardamom and keep it aside.
2. Place a skillet on medium flame with 3-4 teaspoons of pure ghee in it. Add jaggery and coconut from step-1 to it and let it cook and mix on its own stirring continuously.
3. Place a dry spatula on the flame and dry roast poppy seeds in it. On cooling powder the same in the dry grinder to a coarse consistency.
Sweet stuffing being cooked
3. When jaggery dissolves and mixes with coconut add cardamom powder from step 1 to it and poppy seeds powder from step 3 to it.
Poppy seeds powder cardamom powder added to the ready mix
4. When the mixture cools make round balls of required size.
Round balls of the stuffing
5. Sieve both atta and maida in the atta siever, make a paliable dough adding water in steps and required quantity of oil. Pinch out required quantity of the dough from it. Roll the pinched out ball dusting in atta and fill in the stuffing from step 4 into it.
Outer dough, pinched out ball and rolled roti and the filling placed into it
6. Close the edges of the roti and dust it in wheat atta and roll on a thick plastic sheet to required thickness.
Rolled Sweet coconut flat bread
7. Place a roti gridle on the medium flame and splash a little ghee on it. On heating fry the roti on both the sides adding a little ghee to it.
Fried and ready sweet coconut flat bread
8. Serve with tea as tiffin or even for a party. It can be prepared in advance and served for birthdays as an extra sweet. It can be stored for more than 10 days if stored well using fresh ghee.
A closer look at the Sweet Rotis
Number of Rotis: 10-15
How long it takes: 2 hours