We prepare usli with almost all the cereals. This recipe was a menu for one of the functions but of course without onions and other masla and a simple dish with only green chilly, curry leaves and asafoetida. I just modified the same, tasted and it turned out to be really yummy. So I just gave it a thought and now here it is on the blog. What else do I prepare with peanuts – well, Masala Peanuts and Peanut Chikki is something you should check out.
What you need to have:
1. Peanuts – 1 cup
2. chopped onions – 1/2 cup
3. Chopped Tomatoes – 1/3 cup
4. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
5. Blackgram Dal- 1 Teaspoon
6. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
7. Chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon
8. Dhania-Jeera powder – 1 Teaspoon
9. Asafoetida powder – 1 Teaspoon
10. Fresh grated coconut – 2-3 Tablespoons
11. Chopped coriander leaves – A handful
Ingredients of Peanut Usli
What you do with what you have:
1. Wsh, peal and onions fine, wash and chop tomatoes and coriander leaves fine. Grate coconut and keep it aside.
1. Soak peanuts in water overnight. Cook it in cooker adding a little water just enough to cook the same as you cook other cereals. Add a little salt so that it is not over cooked. Cooked peanuts is as shown in the image below.
2. Place a skillet with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil on the flame. When heated add mustard seeds, black gram dal to it. When done add chopped tomatoes from step 1 to it and fry till it gets crimpled. Add chopped onions from step 1 and salt. Add one small chopped green chilly as well to the seasoning as well.
3. Now add turmeric powder, dhania/jeera powder, asafoetida powder and chilly powder one by one and stir well.
Seasoning of the dish in progress
4. Finally add cooked peanuts from step 2 to it and add grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves.
Grated coconut and coriander leaves aded to the dish
Transfer it to a serving bowl and it is ready to be served now. It could be served with rice and dal as well. It is a good combo for Jwari Roti as well.
Ready to serve Peanut Usli
How long it takes: 45 minutes (Other than soaking and cooking)
Number of servings: 3-4
Note: One can even sprout the same and prepare the dish which may enhance the flavour of the dish. Sprouting process is the same as we do for the other cereals.