Potato and Capsicum are twin veggies which when combined taste heavenly. I have already put up Alu Capsicum Masala, Capsicum Sukke before and it was well received. Also as another of the rice based one pot meals, I am adding yet another to the already long list on this blog. Unlike Vangi Bhath, this is made from wet masala from scratch.
What you need to have:
1. Basumathi rice – 1 cup
2. Capsicum chopped – 2 cups
3. Potatoes chopped – 1 cup
4. Onions chopped – 2/3 cup
5. Tomato puree – 1/2 cup
6. Garam Masala powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
7. Cinnamon – 1″ piece
8. Cloves – 3-4
9. Cardamom -2
10. Bal leaf pieces- A few
11. Kishmish – A handful
12. Cooking oil – 3-4 Tablespoons
Ingredients of Potato-Capsicum Bhath
Ingredients of Wet Masala
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Fresh grated coconut – 2 Tablespoons
2. Dalia Dal – 1 Teaspoon
3. Red chillies – 5-6
4. Onion(small) – 1
5. Garlic pods – 5-6
6. Chopped Coriander leaves – 1 Tablespoon
7. Tomato – 1 (small)
8. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, chop capsicum and potatoes into 2″ pieces. Wash, peal and chop onions lengthwise as well. Puree tomato in the mixer and keep them all aside in a plate as shown in image 2.
2. Wash rice drain water and allow it to dry for about 15 minutes as shown in image 1.
3. Grind the ingredients of wet masala in the mixer adding sufficient water in steps to a fine consistency .
4. Place a pressure cooker on the flame with 4-5 tablespoons of cooking oil in it. When heated add bay leaves. As you fry add cardamom, cloves and cinnamon to it.
5. When its done frying add Kishmish and chopped onion to it and salt stirring until the onion turns transparent. Now add garam masala powder and tomato puree to it and let it cook for a while on low flame.
6. When it thickens add chopped Capsicum and potatoes to it and also wet ground masala from step 3 to it and let it cook for a while till the water evaporates.
7. Lastly add rice from step 2 to it and add required quantity of water proportionately and set the cooker closing the lid for about 25 minutes till done. Ready to serve Potato-Capsicum Bhath is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Potato-Capsicum Bhath
Enjoy with any salad of your choice or even plain curds.
Potato-Capsicum Bhath with Tomato-Onion salad
How long it takes: 60 minutes
Number of servings: 3