Cluster Beans is also one among the green beans available. It is seasonal and available only during 3-4 months of the year and certainly not as popular as its cousin French beans. Cluster Beans is a little bitterish in taste unlike the other green beans that are sweeter. There are a few variety of beans like french beans, broad beans, long Beans (Alasande in Kannada/Konkani). Here is the cluster beans curry ( and the french beans curry if you missed it earlier ). Cluster Beans is Gorikayi in kannada (in Bangalore-Mysore region) “Chavlikodu” in kannada here in south kanara. Midkesanga in konkani as south canara people call it and also Chitmidkesanga in konkani as it is called in North kanara region.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Cluster Beans – 2 cups
2. Chopped Potatoes – 2/3 cup
3. Fresh grated coconut – a handful
4. Milk – 1/2 cup
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
2. Blackgram Dal – 1 teaspoon
3. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
4. Asafoetida powder – 1 teaspoon
5. Dhania-jeera powder – 1 teaspoon
6. Green chill – 3-4
Fresh Cluster Beans
What you do with what you have:
1. Cut off the edges of the bean, wash, slit it lengthwise and cut into pieces of required length ( I go for 2” pieces)
2. Wash, peal and chop potatoes as well lengthwise into 2″ pieces as shown in the image 2. Grate coconut as well and set aside.
3. Place a skillet with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add mustard seeds to it. When it starts sputtering add black gram dal, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder, dhania-jeera powder, one red chilli piece and curry leaves one after the other.
4. Now add chopped cluster beans and chopped potatoes from step 1 to it. Also add normal milk , required quantity of salt, a pinch of sugar to it and allow it to cook closing the dish with a lid.
5. Check for salt and if not done add a little more water and allow it to cook. When you cooked you are ready to enjoy it with rice and dal.
Ready to serve Cluster Beans curry
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 5-6