Chakli is a South Indian snack and needs no introduction and we prepare a variety of the same. I have already put up a few of them like the just as any of the other Chaklis I have put up before – Rice Atta Chakli, Moong Dal Chaklis, Maida Chaklis and Sugarcane juice chakli. Today I would like to add yet another variety of the same to the long list – the Potato chakli.
What you need to have:
1. Boiled grated potato – 1 cup
2. Maida – 3 cups
3. Seasame seeds – 1 teaspoon
4. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
5. Asafoetida powder – 1/2 teaspoon
6. Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
7. Butter – 1 teaspoon (optional)
8. Pepper powder (white) – 1/2 teaspoon
9. Salt – taste
Ingredients of Potato chakli
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and cook potato in the cooker without adding water in the cooker container. On cooling grate it and keep it aside.
2. Tie maida in a thin muslin cloth and steam it in the cooker for about 20 minutes like you steam idlis. It will turn into lumps and just crush it with your hands and sieve it in the atta siever.
3. Mix sieved flour with steamed and grated potatoes along with cumin powder, sesame seeds, salt, chilli powder and pepper powder.
4. Add a very little water (if needed only) since potato is cooked smooth and has moisture in it. Make a soft dough to suit one’s chakli mould.
Potato chakli dough
5. Place the dough in chakli mould and prepare chakli on a thick plastic sheet in circular form.
6. Place a skillet with 3-4 cups of cooking oil in it on the flame. When heated deep fry chakli from step 5 till done on both the sides.
Chakli being deep fried
7. Ready to serve potato chakli is as shown in the image below. Serve as snacks with tea. One can store it for more than 15 days if deep fried in fresh cooking oil and stored in air tight containers !
Ready to serve Potato chakli
How long it takes: 60 minutes
Number of Chaklis: 60