Potato and onion the twin vegetables that go together in a lot of dishes and certainly in the Potato-Onion Bhaji. This Bhaji is slightly different from the one I put up with the Masala Dosa – this has the flavor of sambhar powder and is more of a gravy and a good combination for Poori/Chapati. I have also added fresh green peas to it for extra flavour. Here goes the recipe.
What you need to have:
1. Potatos – 2-3
2. Onions – 5
3. Green peas – 1/2 cup
4. Fresh grated coconut – 2 tablespoon
5. Chopped coriander leaves – A handful
6. Sambar – 1-2 teaspoons
Ingredients of Potato-Onion bhaji
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Chopped onions – 3/4 cup
2. Green chilli – 1-2
4. Curry leaves – 2-3 strands
5. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
6. Blackgram dal – 1 teaspoon
7. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
8. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
9. Cashews – A handful
Ingredients of Seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Peel onions and chop lengthwise and keep it aside as shown in image 2. Grate coconut, wash and chop coriander leaves as well and keep it aside as shown in image 1.
2. Wash, peal and cook potatoes as usual in the cooker till soft/cooked. On cooling, just crush the cooked potatoes with your hands add sufficient water and keep aside.
Crushed cooked potatoes
3. Place a skillet with 5-6 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. On heating add mustard seeds to it. When it starts sputtering add blackgram dal to it. When dal is fried, add cumin seeds to it. When it sputters add chopped green chillies, curry leaves, and turmeric powder, cashews to it. Add chopped onions from step 1 and required quantity of salt to the dish.
5. After a while add fresh green peas also and saute it till onions turn transparent and green peas turn soft.
Seasoning in progress
6. Now add cooked potato gravy from step-3 and a teaspoon of sambar powder, garam masala powder(optional) and mix well. Check for salt and if required add some more water to adjust to the required consistency and bring it to boil.
7. Finally add chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut from step 1, stir well and serve hot with your favorite Puri/Dosa/Chapati.
Ready to serve potato-Onion bhaji with gravy
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4-5