Capsicum (Donne mensinkai in Kannada) is a very popular veggie of the modern kitchen. We prepare variety of dishes like the Capsicum salad, Capsicum Roti and Bhajis. This dish I am putting up today is a popular dish from Northern Karnataka dishes.
What you need to have
1. Capsicum chopped – 2 cups
2. Potato chopped – 1 cup
Ingredients of dry Masala powder:
1. Chick peas dal – 1 tablespoon
2. Coriander seeds – 2 teaspoons
3. White sesame seeds – 2 teaspoons
4. Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
5. Fresh grated coconut – 4 tablespoons
6. Red chillies – 3
Ingredients of Masala powder
What you do with what you have
1. Wash and chop capsicum. Also peal, wash and chop potatoes.
2. Place a skillet on medium flame and dry roast chick peas dal, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, wash and dry roast sesame seeds and using a few drops of oil fry red chillies. Dry roast grated coconut till light brown and till you get a pleasant aroma on low flame. On cooling, powder it together in the mixer.
Dry ground Masala powder
Ingredients of Seasoning
3. Place a pan on low flame with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. On heating add mustard seeds to it. On sputtering, add peanuts, cashews and fry it till done. Add curry leaves as well.
Seasoning in progress
4. Prepare a thick syrup with tamarind, jaggery and salt and keep it aside. Once the seasoning is done add chopped capsicum, potatoes to it and fry for a while.
5. Now add the tamarind-jaggery-salt mix syrup from step 3 to it. Close the lid and cook for a while.
Veggies being cooked in seasoning
6. Finally add the dry masala powder from step 2 to it mix well and let it cook on low flame till done.
Veggies being cooked with Masala powder
Ready to serve Capsicum Kairas is as shown in the image below. Decorate it with chopped coriander leaves. One can enjoy this dish with rice and dal as well.
Ready to serve Capsicum Kairas
Capsicum Kairas with chapati
Number of servings: 4-5
How long it takes: 45 minutes