Almonds to the rich as opposed to peanuts to the poor, or so the saying goes. Peanuts, in one form or the other, is a great timepass to just about anybody. It is also used in the preparation of chutney powder (dry), in Chivda (mixture) and dry roasted peanut powder is used in so many veg-curries for extra flavour and to thicken the gravy. I have already put up the normal masala peanuts before and today I would like to put up this variation – Garlic Masala peanuts.
What you need to have:
1. Peanuts – 2 cups
2. Oil to fry – 2 cups
Dry roasted Peanuts
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a broad based bowl on low flame and warm up peanuts for about 10-15 minutes adjusting the flame till you can peal the nuts easily. (Just check if you can peal with your hands. Make sure you do not burn it though.) The warmed up peanuts is as shown in the image 1.
2. Peal the peanuts.
3. Place skillet with two cups of cooking oil on the flame. When heated, deep fry roasted peanuts in oil in 3 or 5 lots depending upon the quantity of peanuts. Place a spatula in the heated oil and pour the pealed peanuts and fry till done as in image below.
Dry roasted Peanuts being deep fried in oil
4. When the first lot of the peanuts is fried just place the crushed garlic pods in it. Keep adding the remaining lot of the fried peanuts to it. Due to the heat the garlic pods turn out crispy.
Ingredients of Masala :
1. Chilli powder – 2 teaspoon (adjust as per preference)
2. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
3. Black Salt powder – 1 teaspoon
4. Salt – As per taste
5. Pealed and crushed Garlic pods – 10
Ingredients of Masala
5. Just warm up a seperate skillet and pour the fried peanuts from step 4 into it. Add chilli powder, turmeric powder, black salt powder and salt. Stir well and immediately switch off the flame.
Ready to serve Masala peanuts is as shown in the image below. Store it in a dry, air tight container on cooling and this will ensure that they remain fresh if fresh oil is used for frying.
Ready to serve Garlic Masala Peanuts
Good to remember:
1. Do not over roast the peanuts afterall they have to be deep fried again !
2. Check for salt and add additional salt since you have already added black salt to it. Chilli powder should not be too strong.
How long it takes: 45 minutes