Vegetable Sagu is a side dish for Puri and also for chapathi. In some restaurants they serve it as a side dish with set dosa as well. I have put up vegetable kurma before that looks similar but is actually a bit different in the sense that I don’t use ginger/garlic and less onion in Sagu.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped vegetables – 2 cups (Green Peas, French beans, carrots, Turnip, Chayote and potatoes chopped fine)
2. Onion chopped – 1 small
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Fresh grated coconut – 2 tablespoons
2. Bilimbi – 2
3. Green chilly – 1
4. Red chilly – 1
5. Dalia Dal – 2 tablespoons
6. Coriander seeds – 2 tablespoons
7. Poppy seeds – 1 teaspoon
8. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspon
9. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
10. Cardamoms – 2
11. Cloves – 2
12. Cinnamon – 2″ piece
Ingredients of Wet Masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop all the vegetables and keep it aside as shown in the image .
2. Cook all the vegetables in the cooker adding little salt so that the veggies are not over cooked.
3. Grind all the ingredients of wet masala in the mixer adding sufficient quantity of water to a medium fine consistency.
Ground Wet Masala
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
2. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
3. Cashews – A handful
4. Kishmish – A handful
5. Tomato – 1
6. Curry leaves – 3-4 Strands
Ingredients of Seasoning
4. Place a skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on a medium flame. On heating, add mustard seeds to it. When it starts sputtering add cumin seeds and curry leaves to it. When done add cashews and kishmish to it. Add chopped tomatoes to it.
Seasoning of the dish
5. When done add ground wet masala from step 3 and a little water to it to make a thick gravy and bring it to boil.
Wet Masala being cooked
6. Add cooked veggies from step-2 to it and bring it to boil adding required quantity of salt to it.(check for salt since already added to the veggies while cooking.)
Cooked veggies added to the Masala gravy
7. Add water and adjust the consistency of the gravy and bring it to boil on low flame stiring continuously else it may burn.( since dalia dal is added to the masala) Decorate it with chopped coriander leaves.
Ready to serve Veg-Sagu
Time taken : 45 minutes