Snake guard is one among the seasonal veggies available here. Though not a popular vegetable, it sure is a very healthy one. I have already put up snake gourd cutlet, snake gourd seeds chutney and today I would like to put up the stir fry which is a good combo for rotis, chapathi and also with rice and dal. One needs tender snake gourd for this dish that is mostly seedless. Have fun.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped snake guard(tender) – 2 cups
2. Chopped potaoes – 1/2 cup
Ingredients for Seasoning:
1. Garlic pods – 8-10
2. Chilli powder – 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
3. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
4. Dhania Jeera powder – 2 teaspoons
Chopped veggies with the seasoning ingredients
What you do with what you have:
1. Scrape the outer skin of snake guard a little with the blunt side (back) of the knife, wash and chop it lengthwise as shown in the image 2.
2. Peal, wash and chop potatoes as well lengthwise, peal garlic pods and keep it aside.
3. Place wide pan on medium flame with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. When heated, just crush the garlic pods a bit and add to it. When it turns light brown, lower the flame and add turmeric powder, chilli powder, Dhania-jeera powder one by one. Stir well and chopped potatoes from step 2 to it with required quantity of salt to the dish and close the lid for a while.
4. Keep observing to see that the potatoes do not get burnt. (If not cooked sprinkle a little water to it.) When it turns a little soft add chopped snake guard from step 1 to it and keep the lid closed.
5. When done enjoy hot with either rice or even rotis or chapathi. Ready to serve snake-guard potato stir fry is as shown in the image below.
Snake guard Potato stir fry
How long it takes: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 4