Puffed rice needs no introduction at all since the most popular street food that is available is the bhel i.e. puffed rice ! I have already put up Konkani bhel, Puffed rice mixture and Puffed rice laddoos. Today I am putting up upma made of puffed rice – not all the well-known but tasty anyway.
What you need to have:
1. Puffed Rice – 4 cups
2. Capsicum – 1
3. Green Peas – 1/2 cup
Ingredients of Puffed rice Upma
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
2. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
3. Blackgram Dal – 1 teaspoon
4. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
5. Red chilli -1
6. Dalia Dal – 2-3 tablespoons
7. Peanut seeds – a handful
8. Curry leaves – 4-5 strands
9. Green chilli – 4
10. Lemon juice – 1-2 teaspoons
Ingredients of Seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Clean puffed rice and wash it in clean water and keep it in a collander.
Washed Puffed rice in a collander
2. Wash and chop capsicum, onion fine, chop green chilli fine as well keep it aside.
3. Place a skillet on medium flame and dry roast peanuts till you get a pleasant aroma and on cooling peal and powder them. Also warm up dalia dal in the same skillet and powder it to a fine consistency.
Ingredients of seasoning being chopped, powdered being set aside
4. Place a skillet on medium flame with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. On heating add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters, add black gram dal, cumin seeds one after the other to it. When it sputters add chopped green chillies from step 2 to it. Add curry leaves and broken red chillies to it.
5. Add chopped onions from step 2 to it and add required quamtity of salt and stir well. When it turns transparent add green peas to it and stir well.
6. When done add chopped capsicum from step 3 to it and let it cook on low flame till done. The seasoned mixture is as shown in the image below. Now add peanut powder, dalia dal powder to it and stir well.
Seasoned Mixture with veggies
7. Finally add puffed rice from step 1 to it and squeeze lemon juice to it and serve as evening tiffin.
Ready to serve Puffed Rice Upma
Puffed Rice Upma with a few Onion rings
8. Serve it with a few onion rings.
Number of servings: 5-6
How long it takes: 60 mins