Parathas is either the plain flat wheat atta bread or the stuffed flat bread. In our everyday life we prepare a variety of stuffed parathas ( see a list of such paratas on this blog here). Since the fresh green peas have started ariving in the market I thought I might as well put up Green peas paratha. One can even use the dried peas but the taste is normally better with the fresh peas.
What you need to have:
1. Fresh Green Peas – 1 cup
2. Besan Atta – 2 tablespoon
3. Onion (Medium) – 1
4. Coriander leaves chopped – A handful
5. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
6. Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
7. Dhania-Jeera powder – 1 teaspoon
8. Salt – as per taste
9. Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
10. Garam masala powder – 1/4 teaspoon
11. Cookin oil – 2 tablespoon
Ingredients of stuffing
Ingredients of outer dough:
1. Wheat atta – 1 cup
2. Cooking oil – 3-4 teaspoons
3. Salt – as per taste
Ingredients of the dough
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and cook green peas in cooker till soft adding a little salt.
2. Wash and chop onions, coriander leaves fine and keep it aside.
3. Place a skillet on low flame with besan atta in it. Dry roast the same till you get a pleasant aroma and till it turns to light brown in colour. Make sure you do not burn it at all.
Chick peas atta being dry roasted
4. Place a skillet with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. On heating, add chopped onions from step 1 to it and fry it till it is transparent adding a little salt.
Chopped Onions being fried
5. When done add dry roasted chick peas atta from step 3, chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, Dhania-jeera powder, salt to it one by one and stir well. Check for salt since it is added to Green peas while cooking and also to onions while frying.
All powders being added to the seasoning
6. Mash the cooked green peas and add to the seasoning mix and also add lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves from step 1 to it and stir well.
Green peas Paratha stuffing
7. Make marble sized balls from the stuffing and is as shown in the image below.
Marble sized balls of the stuffing
8. Make a pliable and smooth dough with wheat atta, salt and cooking oil and is as shown in the image below. Pinch out the required quantity of dough, roll it into 4″ diameter disc and place the stuffing marble sized ball on the disc, bringing the outer edges closer to make it a ball.
The dough, rolled disc and the stuffing placed in the disc
9. Roll the stuffed paratha on a thick plastic sheet to the required thickness.
The rolled Green Peas Paratha
10. Place a roti griddle on the flame. When heated, spray a few drops of cooking oil and place the rolled paratha from step 9 on the griddle. Apply oil on the top of it.
Rolled Green Peas being roasted
11. When fried just reverse the same.
Roasting in progress
12. Just flip again , press it with the spatula and it puffs up.
13. Serve hot with either Curds and picke or with any dry chutney powder.
Ready to serve Green peas Paratha with curds and lemon pickle
Number of Parathas: 5 of the above size
How long it takes: 45 mins