Palak now-a-days is supposed to be the most popular among the greens available in the market so this recipe is timely. I have already put up a few one pot meals consisting of mostly rice items like Tomato Rice, Mint Rice, Methi Pulav, Ghee Rice, Vangi Bhaath and today I would like to put up Palak rice ! Tastes great with the special raitha which I am putting up as well.
What you need to have:
1. Basumathi Rice – 1 cup
2. Chopped Palak – 1 cup
3. Cubed Potatoes – 1/2 cup
3. Green peas – A handful
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Bay leaves – 2
2. Cardamoms – 2
3. Cloves – 4
4. Cinnamon – 3″ Piecs
5. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
6. Cashews – A handful
7. Kishmish – A handful
8. Cubed Tomatoes – 1/6 Cup
9. Chopped Onions – 1/2 cup
10. Ginger galic paste – 1 teaspoon
11. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
12. Garam Masala powder – 1 teaspoon
12. Green chillies – 4
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash Basmati rice drain water and keep it aside as shown among the image above.
2. Wash and chop palak fine, peal, wash and chop potato lengthwise and keep aside. Wash and chop tomatoes, peal and chop onions lengthwise and keep it aside.
3. Place the cooker on low flame with 6-8 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. When heated add bay leaves to it and let it fry for about a minute. Add cumin seeds to it. When it sputters add crushed cardamom, cloves, cinnamon one by one to it.
4. When just fried add slit green chillies, cashews, kishmish to it. When fried add chopped tomatoes from step 3 to it let it fry for a while. Now add chopped onions from step 3 and required quantity of salt to it.
5. When onions turn transparent on frying add turmeric powder, garam masala powder to it. Just stir in and add ginger-garlic paste to it.
6. Stir well and add chopped veggies from step 2 to it and just stir for a while. Finally add basmathi rice to it and add required quantity of water to it. Check for salt. Close the lid cook for 25 minutes as usual in the cooker till it is done.
Ready to serve Palak Rice is as shown in the image below. Enjoy with Tomao-Onion Raitha.
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 5-6