Kantola belongs to the family of bitter guard though its not bitter at all. Of course the local varieties available here is a little bitter. The Calcutta grown breed is very good to taste and also huge in size. We Konkanis prepare a variety of dishes like the curry, fritters (phodi) and the koot. Though the most popular koot being Yam koot (Soorna Koot). Here goes the recipe.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Kantolas – 2 cups
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop kantolas fine discarding seeds if any and keep it aside applying a little salt.
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Fresh grated coconut – 1/3 cup
2. Red chillies -3
3. Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspon
4. Fenugreek sdds – 5-6
5. Asfoetida(soft) – A pinch
6. Tamarind/Bilimbi – 3 (i used bilimbi)
7. Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
8. Salt – To taste
9. Cooking oil for frying Kant0las – 6 teaspoons
Ingredients of Wet Masala
2. Place a spatula with 6 teaspoons of cooking oil on medium flame. Just squeeze out water from salt applied kantolas from step 1 and add toss it in oil. Chopped Kantolas being fried in oil
3. Keep stiring till it is fried to brown colour.
Frying of Kantolas in progress
4. When done just transfer it to another plate and is as shown in the image below.
Deep fried Kantolas
5. Place a spatula with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. When heated, toss in asfaoetida and fry it on low flame till crispy and keep it aside. In the same oil fry mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, turmeric powder and red chillies one by one. Grind all the fried ingredients, fresh grated coconut and bilimbi to a medium fine consistency adding water in steps . Mix sufficient quantity of salt to it.
Ground koot masala
6. Place a spatula with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on low flame. On heating, add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters add curry leaves to it. Switch off the flame and season it to the ground wet masala.
Seasoned Wet Masala
7. Serve deep fried Kantolas from step 4 and the wet masala from step 6 seperately so that one can enjoy each bite of the dish with the crispy kantolas.
Ready to serve Kantola koot
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 2