At home and at functions, Konkanis prepare variety of puddings/payasam and this wheat pudding (Gova payasu) also is one among them. It is prepared with the broken wheat available in the market. This particular payasam is prepared for some religious functions where we have it with rice vada, another pooja item.
What you need to have:
1. Broken wheat – 1 cup
2. Jaggery – 2 cups (or as per taste)
3. Cashews – 25-30
4. Coconut milk (thick) – 3 cups
Ingredients of wheat pudding
Ingredients for wet grinding:
1. Raw rice – 4 teaspoons
2. Grated fresh coconut – 6 teaspoons
3. Cashews – 10 (out of 30)
4. Cardamom – 15
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash broken wheat and drain water completely. Place a wide skillet with 2-3 teaspoons of pure ghee in it on medium flame. Add broken wheat to it keep stiring and fry it till you get a pleasant aroma. Make sure you do not burn it though.
Broken wheat being fried in pure ghee
2. Grate coconut, chop jaggery fine and peal cardamom and keep it aside. Fried broken wheat and chopped jaggery.
Fried broken wheat & chopped jaggery
3. Cook fried broken wheat in the cooker adding 6 cups of water till it is smooth. Cooked broken wheat is shown in the image below.
Cooked Broken Wheat
4. Soak raw rice and a few cashews in water for about an hour. Add pealed cardamom and coconut from step 2 to it and grind it in the wet grinder to a fine consistency adding water in steps.
Ground raw rice coconut & cashew mix
5. Place a wide bowl on the flame with 3 cups of water in it. On boiling add crushed jaggery from step 2 to it and bring it to boil. Strain it immediately to get rid of any impurities.
Crushed jaggery being cooked
6. Add ground Rice -coconut mix from step-3 to it and bring it to boil stiring continuously to avoid it from getting burnt.
Ground rice & coconut mix being cooked with jaggery
7. When the mixture is cooked adding sufficient water to it, add cooked broken wheat from step 3 to it and keep stiring and bring it to boil.
Cooked Broken wheat being added
8. Finally add coconut milk to it and bring it to boil on low flame stiring continuously till done.
Coconut milk being added to the pudding
9. Place a spatula with 2-3 teaspoons of pure ghee in it . On heating add broken cashews and fry it till it is light brown. Finally when the pudding is done just decorate it with fried cashews.
Serve either hot or chilled.
Ready to serve wheat payasam
How long it takes: 60 minutes
Number of servings: 6-8