Even if you did not know the name of this snack, the picture above says it all. This is a very popular streetfood in almost all cosmopolitan cities and I remember to have tasted it from my college days in Bangalore. It is also readily available in most of the sweetmeet stalls and bakeries. It can be an evening snack and also a party dish. Its barely an evening’s job and takes only 30 minutes. Here it goes.
What you need to have:
1. Rice Ata – 2 cups
2. All purpose flour (Maida) – 1/2 cup
3. Chick peas Atta – 1/2 cup
4. Chilli powder – As per taste
5. Asafoetida (soft) – A pinch
6. Butter or Cooking oil (fresh) – 2 tablespoon
7. Salt – To taste
Ingredients of Ribbon pakoda
What you do with what you have:
1. Sieve maida, chick peas atta and chilli powder together 2-3 times in the siever along with salt so that they are mixed evenly.
Atta, chilli powder and salt mix
2. Add butter and mix well with your hands. Disssolve asafoetida in a little water and add to it. Now add water slowly to make it a medium soft dough so that one is able to press the pakodas comfortably in oil.
Ribbon pakoda dough
3. Place a skillet with 2-3 cups of cooking oil in it on the flame. Place the dough in the pakoda maker and press it directly in heated oil.
Ribbon pakoda being pressed in oil by presser
4. While pressed completely in oil the whole picture is as below. Just reverse it fry it on both the sides till crispy.
Ribbon pakodas being fried in oil
Ready to serve Ribbon pakodas is as shown in the image below. One can break them into pieces and store it in air tight containers.
Ready to serve Ribbon Pakodas
How long it takes: 30 minutes