The name itself is an introduction. People prepare it in different ways using either Chickpeas atta, wheat atta maida or Sujee as the base for the same. I have used Bombay sujee as base for the same. This recipe is an old one which I borrowed from my mother-in-law and is the favorite of all of us in the family. It really tastes like the Dood peda. One can even make use of the available dry fruits other than kishmish and Dates.
What you need to have:
1. Bombay sujee – 1 cup
2. Sugar – 4 cups
3. Pure ghee – Little more than 1/2 cup (depending upon the thickness of sujee)
4. Milk (Thick) – 3 cups (I have used good life (branded) milk)
5. Saffron strands – A few
Ingredients of Milk Burfi
What you do with what you have:
1. Sieve Sujee in the siever, powder sugar in the mixer, soak cashews in a little milk for about an hour so that it turns soft. Just run in the mixer to mix with milk.
2. Place a wide bottomed skillet on medium flame and add ghee to it.
Ghee being place in a skillet to melt
3. When ghee melts add Bombay sujee from step 1 to it and fry on a medium flame till you get a pleasant aroma.
Sujee being fried in pure ghee
4. Boil milk on another flame and add it to the fried sujee to cook it. When cooked fully it will be solidified.(Add the cashews crushed with milk as well at this time. Quantity of milk should be the same . One should soak cashews in that milk itself and not extra in quantity.)
Fried sujee being cooked in milk
5. Add powdered sugar from step 1 to the cooked sujee.
Powdered sugar added to cooked sujee-milk mix
6. Keep stiring continuously on high flame without break and when it is about to be done add saffron strands to it. Lower the flame and keep stiring till the mixture leaves the sides of the skillet. Switch of the flame amnd keep stiring till it solidifies. (The flame depends upon your burner. Always adjust the flame. I have used (good life) milk for this dish. If thin milk is used then it could be a flop and chances of turning out very hard .)
Miilk burfi mix being solidified
7. Pour the burfi mix on a wooden plank and cut it immediately.
Burfi mix being spread & cut into pieces
Decorate it required dry fruits and serve. Store it in airtight containers and will remain afresh for more than 20 days if fresh ghee is used.
Ready to serve Milk Burfi
Number of Burfis: around 150-175 pieces of above size
How long it takes: – 45 minutes
Note: 1. Always use Thick milk (fat milk) for this dish.
2. Always adjust the flame according to the size of the burner.
3. When the burfi is about to be done, one can switch of the flame and keep stirring till done. (This may take 6-8 minutes.)
4. As soon as it is solidified , spread it on a wooden plank and mark it immediately.