Aviyal, as prepared in Kerala is a dish of mixed vegetables with wet masala and a little curds to top. A seasoning is a must of course. In Tamilnadu though it is prepared in a different way. I borrowed this recipe from my friend when we stayed in Ernakulam back in 1985. We also prepare this dish in our own way and I will surely put it up later. (I have already put up Majjige huli which is prepared by Kannadigas). So there goes
What you need to have:
1. Mixed Vegetables – 2 cups [ I have used carrot, Beans, Green peas, Carrot, Drumstick, Raw Bananas ]
A bowl of Mixed Veggies
Ingredients of Seasoning & Topping:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
2. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
3. Asafoetida powder – 1 teaspoon
4. Red chilli – 1
5. Curry leaves – 2 strands
6. Cooking oil – 2 teaspoons
7. Coriander leaves – A handful
8. Curds – 1/2 cup
Ingredients of seasoning & topping
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, chop all the veggies as shown in the image 1 and keep it aside.
2. Cook them in the pressure cooker adding a little salt so that it will not get over cooked.
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Green chillis – 1-2
2. Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 cup
3. Garlic pods – 4-5
4. Onion – 1 (small & optional)
Ingredients of Wet Masala
3. Grind the ingredients of wet masala in the mixer adding sufficient quantity of water to a fine consistency. Add the masala to the cooked veggies from step 2 and bring it to boil on a low flame. Add curds as well at the end.
4. Place a spatula with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating, add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters add turmeric powder, Asafoetida powder, broken red chilly pieces and curry leaves one after the other and season it to the dish. Top it with chopped coriander leaves.
Ready to serve Aviyal
5. Mix well and serve with rice as side dish. Since seasoning contains it the dish gets the yellow colour.
Ready to serve yellow coloured Aviyal
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 3-4