This beans is an essential ingredient in many dishes such as pulav, fried rice , sambar and biriyani etc. The Konkanis also prepare a simple curry dish which I would particularly recommend for those just starting off cooking. This no frills dish is generally popular and more so in our family. It goes very well with rice and the simple Tomato Rasam. Here goes the recipe.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped french Beans – 2 cups
2. Chopped Potatoes – 1/2 cup
Chopped French beans & potatoes
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
2. Blackgram Dal – 1 teaSpoon
3. Asafoetida powder – 1/2 teaspoon
4. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
5. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
5. Green chillies – 1 teaspoon
Fresh grated coconut – 2 teaspoons
Ingredients of Seasoning & toppings
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop french beans fine. Also peal, wash and chop potatoes fine. Grate coconut. Slit Green chilli too. Keep them all aside for a bit.
2. Place a broad based bowl on the flame with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. When heated add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters add blackgram dal to it.
Seasoning of the dish
3. When it is fried add asafoetida powder, turmeric powder, cumin seeds to it. Finally add slit green chillies from step 1 to it.
Seasoning in progress
4. Now add chopped french beans and potatoes from step 1 to it. Also add required quantity of salt to the dish.
Chopped veggies added to the seasoning
5. Close the lid and let it cook on sim for about 15 minutes.
Cooking of the dish in progress
6. When the dish is cooked add grated coconut from step 1 to it and leave it on the flame for 5 minutes.
Topping being added
When cooked French Beans Curry is as shown in the image below. Enjoy with rice and Rasam.
Ready to serve Beans Curry
How long it takes: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 4-5 People