Goli Baje is the most common menu in many of the restaurants in down south especially in Mangalore, Udupi and Manipal and also in and around this place. It is prepared in combination with maida, chick peas atta, curds and other ingredients. If you cannot have it hot, you should rather avoid it since on cooling it turns out soggy and tasteless. It is really yummy and can be an instant dish for unexpected guests. It could also be a monsoon delight. Do try out.
What you need to have:
1. All purpose flour – 1 cup
2. Ckick peas Atta – 2 teaspoons
3. Cooking soda (fresh) – 1 teaspoon
4. Curds sour (slightly) – 1 cup
5. Salt – To taste
6. Sugar – A pinch
7. Green chilly – 2
8. Ginger – A small piece
9. Chopped coriander leaves – A handful
10. Curry leaves – 4 strands
Ingredients of Goli Baje
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop green chillis, coriander leaves, ginger, curry leaves fine and keep it aside.
2. Sieve all purpose flour, chick peas atta and cooking soda in the siever twice and is as shown in the image below.
Sieved Atta soda mix
3. Run curds in the mixer and add chopped green chillies, ginger, curry leaves from step 1 to it. Add required quantity of salt and sugar as well. Finally fold in sieved atta soda mix from step 2 slowly into it (make sure there are no lumps) and also add chopped coriander leaves from step 1 . The ready Goli baje batter is as shown in the image below.
Goli Baje dough
4. Place a skillet with 2 cups of cooking oil in it on a medium flame. When heated drop small balls of the dough with the help of a spoon or your own hands. It starts swelling in it.
Goli Baje being fried in oil
5. When fried reverse the baje to be fried on the other side.
Goli Baje being fried on the reverse
Ready to serve Goli Baje is as shown in the image below. Enjoy with either Tomato sauce or the chutney of your choice.
Ready to serve Goli Baje with chutney & Tomato sauce
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 3-4 people