Cauliflower is a versatile vegetable and parathas are a common staple in the North and delicacy in the South. I have already put a few parathas on this blog and this is the 6th in the list of paratha recipes.
What you need to have:
1. Grated cauliflower – 2 cups
2. Grated ginger – 1 teaspoon
3. Chopped Green chillies – 1 teaspoon
Ingredients of Cauliflower Paratha stuffing
Ingredients of seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters add cumin seeds. When it sputters, add grated ginger and chopped green chillies to it. Finally add turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala powder one by one. Add curry leaves as well to it.
Ingredients of Seasoning
2. Add grated cauliflower and required quantity of salt to it.
Stuffing being cooked in seasoning
3. Mix well and close it with a lid and let it cook on low flame.
stuffing being cooked
4. When cooked add chopped coriander leaves and squeeze lemon juice to it and switch of the flame.
Cauliflower paratha stuffing
5. Transfer it to a plate and is as shown in the image below. Prepare small balls and stuff into the dough.
A closer look at the stuffing
What you need to have:
1. Pilsberry Atta fine – 2 cups
2. Salt – to taste
3. Fresh cooking oil – 4-6 teaspoons
4. Water to make the dough – 2/3 cup
Ingredients of the outer dough
6. Mix atta, salt, cooking oil to make soft, elastic and paliable dough adding water in steps. The dough, pinched out ball and the stuffed paratha roll is as shown in the image below. Make small balls with the stuffing from step 5.
The dough, pinched out ball and the stuffed ball
7. Close the edges of the stuffed ball and roll it into paratha of required thickness on a thick plastic sheet.
Rolled Cauliflower paratha
8. Place a chapathi griddle on medium flame and sprinkle a little cooking oil/ghee/butter on it. When heated place the paratha on it, sprinkle a little oil to it and fry it till done.
Cauliflower paratha being cooked
9. Reverse it and let it cook till done adding a little oil once again.
Cauliflower paratha being cooked on the reverse
10. When done parathas look as below.
A closer view of the parathas
11. Enjoy with either tomato sauce and butter or any chutney powder of your choice.
Cauliflower paratha with Amul butter and tomato sauce
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of Parathas: 10-12 of the above size