You don’t really need to have plantains growing in your backyard since banana blossoms are available these days in the super bazars. They are really healthy and we use them in preparing chutney as well as curry in combination with Bengalgram which I will put up later. Today I would like to put up this curry with gravy which is a good side dish for lunch. This recipe I borrowed from one of friends from Kerala.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Banana blossom – 2 cups
2. Onion chopped – 1/2 cup
3. Slit Green chilli – 2
4. Coconut milk – 1 cup
5. Chilli powder – As per taste
6. Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
7. Coriander powder – 2 teaspoon
Chopped Banana blossom
What you do with what you have:
1. Peal the Banana blossom till you get the tender part of the blossom as shown in image 1.
2. Chop it fine as shown in image above. Add a little salt to it and set it aside for about an hour. Squeeze out the water from it. Cook it in the cooker as usual adding a little salt till it turns soft. (Do not add water)
Cooked Banana blossom
Ingredients of Seasoning
3. Place a skillet with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. When heated add slit green chillies and fry for a while. Now add chopped onions to it and let it fry till it turns transparent adding required quantity of salt to the dish.
Onion being fried in seasoning
4. When it is fried add chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder one by one and finally add coconut milk to it and bring it to boil on low flame. Finally add cooked banana blossom from step 2 to it. Ready to serve Banana blossom curry is as shown in the image below.(check for salt and serve)
Serve hot with rice as a side dish.
Ready to serve Banana blosssom curry
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4-5