Pathrade is perhaps the most popular dish of the konkani people – I put it up before and you all loved it. A derivative of pathrate is the shallow fried pathrade and yet another is the Pathrade upkari/curry which is what I have for you today. Fresh pathrade can’t be broken into pieces hence we prepare this dish the following day. Here it is.
What you need to have:
1. Pathrade pieces – 3 cups
2. Finely chopped Onion – 3/4 cup
3. Chopped Tomatoes – 2 tablespoons
4. Chopped Garlic pods – A few
5. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
6. Chilli powder(less spicy) – 1 teaspoon
Broken pathrade pieces
Ingredients of Seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Just break the pathrade into pieces and keep it aside as shown in the image 1.
2. Wash, peal and chop onions very fine and also peal and chop garlic pods fine. Wash and chop tomatoes also fine and keep it aside seperately as shown in the image 2.
3. Place a skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on a medium flame. On heating add chopped garlic pods from step 2 to it and when fried add chopped tomatoes from step 1 and fry it for about 2-3 minuites. Now add chopped onions too from step 2 to it adding required quantity of salt to it. (Already pathrade contains salt)
Chopped onions being fried in seasoning
4. When both are fried add chilli powder and turmeric powder to it and saute well.
5. Finally add chopped Pathrade pieces from step 1 to the seasoning and saute well and switch off the flame.
Ready to serve Pathrade Upkari
Ready to serve Pathrade upkari is as shown in the image above and served hot with rice and rasam below !
Ready to serve Pathrade Upkari with Rasam rice
How long it takes: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 4-5 people