Here is one more addition to the already long list of one-pot meals. Tomatoes are in common use these days and are of immense use in so many dishes and also in wet masalas (if you don’t have tamarind juice that is). Tomatos not only provide the flavour but also have potential to change the color of the dish. I have already put up the common Tomato-Onion salad, not so common Tomato chutney and the not at all common Tomato Burfi. Today I would like to put up Tomato Rice, a popular rice item in South India.
What you need to have:
1. Basumathi Raw rice – 2 Cups
2. Ripe Tomatoes (Pureed) – 4
3. Onions – 2
4. Slit Green chilli – 1
Basumathi Raw Rice
Ingredients of Dry powder:
1. Red Chilli powder – 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon(less spicy)
2. Coriander seeds – 1 Tablespoon
3. Bengalgram Dal – 1 Tablespoon
4. Blackgram Dal – 1/2 Tablespoon
5. Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 Teaspoon
6. Asafoetida powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Dry powder
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Peanut seeds – 2 Tablespoons
3. Curry leaves – 2 Strands
4. Asafoetida powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
5. Cooking oil for Seasoning – 1 Tablespoon
Ingredients of Seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash basumathi rice in water drain and keep it aside. When it dries cook it in the cooker adding required quantity of water as usual till done so that each grain is separate when cooked and cooled.
2. Wash and puree tomatoes and also wash, peal and chop onions lengthwise, also slit green chilli and keep it aside as shown in the image below.
Ingredients of Tomato Rice
3. Dry roast Peanuts till you get a pleasant aroma and peal them on cooling.
4. Dry roast all the ingredients of dry powders in a skillet one by one separately. Lastly add chilli powder and on cooling powder them together in the mixer to a medium fine consistency.
Dry Masala powder and roasted peanuts
5. Place a skillet on medium flame with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. On heating, add tomato puree from step 2 to it and fry it till it thickens. Keep it aside in a bowl to be added later on to the seasoning.
Tomato puree being fried
6. Seasoning: Place a skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on a medium flame. When heated add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters add turmeric powder, asafoetida powder one by one. When fried add curry leaves to it. Now add chopped onions and slit green chilli from step 2 to it and fry it till onions turn transparent while adding required quantity of salt to the dish. When done add fried tomato puree to it and just saute it.
Seasoning in progress
7. Now add dry masala powder, peanuts from step 3 to it and stir it well.
Dry masala powder and peanuts being added to the seasoning
8. Add cooked rice from step 1 to it and mix well. Ready to serve Tomato rice is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Tomato Rice
Serve with Tomato Raitha.
Ready to serve Tomato rice with Tomato raitha
Time taken – 1 hour
Serves – 6-8 people