We prepare a host of parathas in our daily life. Some of them are very popular such as the alu paratha. But this apart there are other less common ones ( for eg: Drumstick Greens Paratha, Moong Dal Paratha and Muli Paratha) one of which I am putting up today – Onion paratha. Try this with tomato sauce or butter, but try this anyway !
What you need to have:
1. Grated Onion – 1/2 cup
2. Wheat Atta – 1 cup
3. Semolina(Thin) – 2 tablespoons
4. Amul butter – 2 tablespoons
5. Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
6. Garam Masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon(if strong)
7. Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
8. Corinader leaves – A handful
9. Salt – To taste
Ingredients of Onion Paratha
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and grate onion and keep it aside. Also wash and chop coriander leaves fine.
2. Sieve Wheat atta, Garam masala powder, chili powder, salt in the sieve.
3. Transfer the sieved mixture to a bowl and stir in sujee to it. Add grated onion from step-1 and also squeeze lemon juice to it. Mix well and add required quantity of water to make a smooth paliable dough. The dough and pinched out ball is as shown in the image below.
Onion Paratha dough and the pinched out ball
4. Pinch out the required quantity of dough from the dough and roll it in a circular manner on a plastic sheet and apply oil to it and fold it.
Oil being applied to the paratha
5. Roll the paratha into a semi circle and apply oil again as shown in the image below.
Oil being applied to the next fold
6. Fold it into a triangle and is as shown in the image below.
Folded after applying oil
7. Roll it dusting it in wheat atta to required thickness on a plastic sheet. Place a Roti tawa on the flame. On heating apply a little oil/butter to it and place paratha on it.
8. Apply oil to it and reverse the same to fry on the other side as well.
Paratha being fried
9. When cooked reverse the paratha.
Onion Paratha being cooked on the reverse
10. When done enjoy with either Tomato sauce or the chutney powder of your choice.
Onion Paratha with tomato sauce and chutney powder
How long it takes: 45 minutes
How many: 10-12 parathas