Dosa is the favorite of all of us. The young, the old, men and women all over the world seem to love this dish. I have already put up quite a few variety of dosas and today I would love to put up the simplest of the dosas and easy to prepare as well. In Karnataka, it is known by the Sada Dosa/Plain dosa as the name itself indicates. Here goes the recipe.
What you need to have:
1. Blackgram Dal – 1 cup
2. Sona masoori raw rice – 2 cups
3. Fenugreek seeds – 2 Teaspoons
Ingredients of Plain Dosa
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and soak blackgram dal, fenugreek in one bowl and raw rice in water for about 2-3 hours in two seperate bowls.
2. Grind Blackgram Dal in the grinder to a fine consistency adding water in steps. Make sure the batter is thick and transfer the ground batter to a bowl.
3. Grind soaked rice as well in the grinder/mixer to a fine consistency and mix it with dal batter ground earlier from step 1. Keep it aside for fermentation over night adding required quantity of salt.
Ground Dosa Batter
Fermented Dosa batter is shown in the image below.
Fermented Dosa batter
5. Place dosa griddle on medium flame and when heated, sprinkle a few drops of cooking oil on it and also a few drops of water and rub it with either coconut coir or tissue paper. Pour a laddle of batter and spread it in a circular fashion and spread it to the required thickness.
Dosa batter being poured on the griddle
6. Sprinkle a few drops of oil when being cooked to turn it crispy
Dosa being cooked till crispy
Ready to serve crispy dosa with Bhaji & Amul butter
Good to know:
1. Always dosa batter should be ground to a thick consistency and on fermenting it will be just right. If it is ground to a thin consistency then it will be very difficult to spread the dosa batter and in turn dosas turn very thick and soggy.
How long it takes: 1 hour (other than soaking , fermenting and grinding)
Number of Dosas: 20