I see that this post is not being viewed properly in firefox. It works okay in Safari and Internet Explorer.
Lentils as part of salad is not new to us – I have already put up Sprouted greengram usli and today I would like to put up yet another dish in the same league. This dish is good recipe to have in your kitty especially if you are just starting off cooking – simple but tasty and nutritious.
What you nees to have:
1. White peas – 1 cup
2. Fresh grated coconut – 4 Tablespoons
3. Chopped coriander leaves – A handful
4. Sambar powder – 2 Teaspoons
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Cooking oil – 3-4 teaspoons
2. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoons
3. Blackgram Dal – 1 teaspoon
4. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
5. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
6. Green chilly – 1
7. Curry leaves – 2-3 strands
Ingredients of White Peas Usli
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak white peas in water overnight for about 10-12 hours.
2. Chop green chillies , coriander leaves and grate coconut and keep it aside.
3. Add 2 cups of water to it and cook it in cooker as usual till done adding a few drops of cooking oil to it. Cooked white peas is as shown in the image below.
Cooked White Peas
4. Place a skillet with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. When heated add mustard and blackgram dal to it.
The seasoning of the dish
5. When both mustard and blackgram dal is fried add cumin seeds to it. When it sputters add Turmeric powder,chopped green chillies and curry leaves to it.
Seasoning in progress
6. Now add cooked white peas from step 3, salt, sambar powder and chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut from step 2 to it and saute well.
Dish being cooked
Ready to serve white peas usli is as shown in the image below. Enjoy with either chapati or even rice and dal.
Ready to serve white peas usli
How long it takes: 45 minutes (other than soaking overnight)
Number of servings: 4