Spring onion now a days is used in many dishes since its a healthy ingredient. We use it in salads, noodles and also as part of gojju etc. Today I would like to put up spring onion stir fry which I learnt from one of my friends way back in 1980 when we stayed at Nipani on the Karnataka-Maharashtra border. This is an easy dish to prepare and a good side-dish either with Chapati or as a side dish for lunch/dinner.
What you need to have:
1. Spring onions greens chopped – 2 cups
2. Spring onions chopped – 3/4 cup
3. Tomato chopped -1/4 cup
4. Potato chopped – 1/4 cup
Fresh spring onion bunch
Chopped Spring greens and Onions
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop spring greens and also onions fine and keep it aside as shown in the image above
2. Wash , peal and chop potatos fine, wash and chop tomatoes fine and keep it aside as shown in the image below.
Ingredients of Seasoning & chopped veggies
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon
2. Tuermeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
3. Dhania-Jeera powder – 1 Teaspoon
4. Salt powder – 1 Teaspoon
Chopped tomatoes being cooked
3. Place a wide bottomed bowl on medium flame with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. Add chopped tomatoes from step-2 to it let it cook for around 3 minutes.
4. Add chopped potatoes from step 2 to it to it and let it cook till it tuns a little soft on low flame. Keep the lid closed.
Chopped potatos being cooked
5. When done add chopped onions from step 1 and also required quantity of salt to the dish and let it fry till it turns transparent.
Chopped onions being fried
6. When onions turn transparent add chilli powder, dhania jeera powder and turmeric powder to it and stir well. Finally add chopped spring greens from step-1 to it and let it cook on low flame till done.
Chopped spring greens being cooked
Ready to serve spring onion stir fry is as shown in the image below . Enjoy with rice and dal.
Ready to serve Spring onion stir fry
8. One can even enjoy with chapathi.
Spring onion stir fry with chapati
How long it takes: 30 mins
Number of servings: 4-5