The Konkani Dal – dali thoy – is prepared with Toor dal but at times, we use Moong Dal too.Greengram dal in English is Muga dali in Konkani, Hesarubele in Kannada and Pyethamparupu in Tamil. I have put up a few dishes with Moong Dal as the main ingredients.
What you need to have:
1. Green gram Dal – 1/2 Cup
2. Green chilly – 2
3. Ginger – 1 ” piece
4. Turmeric powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
5. Coriander leaves – A handful
Ingredients of Mooga dali thoy
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and slit green chilly, also wash and peal ginger, also chop coriander leaves and keep aside.
2. Wash dal and cook it in the cooker till it is done adding 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder, water and a few drops of cooking oil to it. On being cooked dal would look as below. Add slit green chilly and a piece of chopped ginger from step 1 to it and bring it to boil adding required quantity of salt and water to bring it to the required consistency.
Cooked Moong dal
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Cumin seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
3. Red chilly – 1
4. Curry leaves – 2 Strands
Ingredients of Seasoning
3. Place a spatula with 3-4 teaspoons of either cooking oil or pure ghee in it on the low flame. When heated add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters add cumin seeds to it. Finaly add red chilli pieces and curry leaves to it. Switch off the gas and add this seasoning to the cooked dal from step 2.
4. Top it with chopped coriander leaves from step 1 and ready to serve Mooga dali thoy is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Mooga dali thoy
Enjoy with pickle or any spicy curry of your choice.
How long it takes: 30 mins