It does seem like I will never run out of Idli recipes. So those who are not fond of Idlis will have to bear with me and those who adore Idlis can have a feast. This is Idli no. 7. See other Idlis here.
This recipe I borrowed from one of my friends from Chennai when I had been visiting. I have of course modified it a little bit by topping it with chopped cashews and curry leaves etc – and it tasted great. This idli is prepared with a combination of Blackgram Dal, raw rice and par boiled rice in a specific proportion.
What you need to have:
1. Blackgram Dal – 1 cup
2. Raw rice sujee – 1 cup
3. Par-boiled rice – 1 cup
Ingredients of Kancheepuram Idlis
Ingredients of Topping:
1. Finely chopped Ginger – 1 teaspoon
2. Curry leaves – 5-6 Strings
3. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
4. Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
5. Cashews – A few
6. Pure ghee – 1 teaspoon
7. Curds -1 tablespoon(optional)
Ingredients of Toppings
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and soak blackgram Dal in water for about 3-4 hours. Wash and Soak parboiled rice seperately in water for more than 6 hours.
2. Wash and rinse raw rice sujee in water seperately and keep it aside.
3. Grind Blackgram in the grinder/mixer to a fine consistency adding water in steps like you grind for normal idlis and transfer it into a broad bowl.
4. Grind parboiled rice in the grinder to a medium coarse thick consistency adding little water and is as shown in the image below.
Ground Par-boiled rice batter
5. Mix ground parboiled rice batter to dal batter from step-3 . Also mix rinsed raw rice rava from step-2 to it . Add required quantity of salt to the batter and set it aside for fermentation over night.(since i am put up at Manipal i have not added curds )
Ground Kancheepuram Idli batter
6. Next morning the batter gets fermented and is ready to be steamed. Add chopped curry leaves, grated cashews, ginger,cumin seeds, pepper powder and a spoon of pure ghee to it.
Toppings added to the fermented Idli batter
7. Mix the batter well and grease the idli moulds and fill it with the batter and is as shown in the image below.
Idli moulds being filled with the batter
8. Steam the idlis in the cooker as usual for about 20 minutes.
Steamed fresh Kancheepuram Idlis
9. Enjoy with your favorite chutney and Sambar.
Ready to serve Kancheepuram Idli with chutney/Sambar
How long it takes: 30 minutes (other than grinding and fermenting)
Number of Idlis: 7-8