Hurikadle is the Dalia dal/Roasted Bengalgram dal. Also known by putani dali in konkani and pottu kalle in tamil. We use it almost all fried mixtures, in coconut chutney for extra flavour and is the main ingredient in the Masala dosa’s popular red garlic chutney. We also prepare Panchakajaya for Krishna janmashtami and Ganesh chathurthi. I put up 2 varieties of panchakajayas on this blog earlier. (See Bengal Gram Panchakajaya and Tulsi Pooja Panchakajaya ). However, this is a good prasadam for those who are just starting off and are looking something simple. Bengalgram dal panchakajaya and Hurikadale panchakajaya both are prasad items for Ganesh chathurthi at our place!!!!!!
What you need to have:
1. Hurikadle/Dalia dal – 1 cup
2. Sugar – 3/4 cup
3. Grated Copra – 2-3 tablespoons
4. Cardamom – 6-8
5. Sesame seeds (black) – 2 Teaspoons
Ingredients of Hurikadle Panchakajaya
What you do with what you have:
1. Clean hurikadle to see if there is any dirt and keep aside. Grate dry copra and also peal cardamom.
2. Place a broad based bowl on medium flame and warm up dal to get rid of the raw smell for about 5-10 minutes stiring continuously. Add pealed cardamom to it. (Make sure you don’t burn it – ensure that the dal does not change shade)
Hurikadle Dal being warmed up
3. Warm up sugar as well on the medium flame till it is crystalized a little and crispy. (make sure it never liquifies) Just transfer sugar to another bowl and just stir grated copra in the same warm bowl.
Sugar being warmed up
4. Wash, black sesame seeds and dry roast them in a broad based vessel on a medium flame till it sputters. Warmed up Dalia dal, sugar and dry roasted sesame seeds is as shown in the image below.
Warmed up Dalia dal, sugar and Black sesame seeds
5. On cooling, dry grind dalia dal, sugar, cardamom in the mixer/blender one after the other . Transfer all the ground powder in a bowl . Add grated copra, roasted sesame seeds, and finally a dollop of pure ghee to it and Hurikadle panchakajaya is ready now. Offer it to the almighty.
Ready to serve Hurikadle Panchakajaya
How long it takes: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 10-15 people as prasadam