I have already put up raw banana curry, raw banana chutney, deep fried and shallow fried banana as well till now. Today I would like to put up raw banana in coconut gravy with garlic seasoning. This is a litle hot dish though it does not contain any spices. But with the garlic seasoning it will get a unique flavour and is a good combination with rice and dal. People who do not have a fancy for garlic can season the dish with mustard, asafoetida, red chillies and curry leaves. Here it goes.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped raw Bananas – 3-4 cups
Pealed Raw Bananas
Pealed & Chopped Raw Banana pieces
Ingredients of Wet masala:
1. Fresh grated coconut – 1/3 cup
2. Red chillies – 3
3. Tamarind – a small piece
4. Turmeric powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Wet Masala
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Pealed & Crushed Garlic pods – 6-8 and Cooking oil – 2 Teaspoons
Crushed Garlic pods for Seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and chop Raw Bananas into 1″ rectangular size pieces as shown in the image 2.
2. Place a wide bottomed skillet on medium flame and put the chopped Raw Banana pieces into it.
3. Add 1/2 cup water and required quantity of salt to the dish and allow it to cook in an open skillet till just done. (The reason being that if overdone it will be crushed and one does not get to eat Banana pieces)
Raw Banana pieces being cooked
Cooked Raw Banana pieces
3. Place a spatula with 1 teaspoon of cooking oil in it on the flame and fry red chillies in it also add turmeric powder to it. Grind grated fresh coconut, tamarind and fried chillies and turmeric powder in the mixer adding sufficient quantity of water to a fine consistency. The ground Masala is as below.
Ground Wet Masala
4. Add the ground wet masala to cooked Banana pieces and bring it to boil on a medium flame.
Raw Banana Kodhel being boiled
5. Place a spatula with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil on the flame. When heated add crushed Garlic pods to it. Keep stiring all the time so that it turns crispy and brown. Season it to the cooked Banana dish and is as shown in the image below. Enjoy with Dal and Rice .
Ready to serve Raw Banana Kodhel
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 2-3 people