Boiled rice is supposed to be the staple food among the people of the west coast of our country. People prepare a number of dishes like the idli, oondi, Noodles, Dosa etc., But this particular idli recipe I borrowed from one of my friends when I recently visited Chennai. This idli is made purely of the boiled rice and a little coconut and absolutely no Blackgram dal at all. Also there is more good news in that this needs no fermentation and can hence be prepared instantly. Here goes the recipe !
What you need to have:
1. Red Boiled Rice – 1 Cup
2. Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 Cup
3. Fresh cooking soda – 1/2 Teaspoon
4. Salt – To taste
Ingredients of Boiled Rice Idlies
Ingredients of Toppings:
1. Chopped green chillies – 1 Teaspoon
2. Chopped coriander leaves – 1 Tablespoon
3. Chopped ginger – 1/2 Teaspoon
4. Chopped Cashews – 2 Tablespoon
5. Chopped Curry leaves – 2 Teaspoon
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and soak red boiled rice in water over night for about 10 hours. On soaking it looks as below
Red Boiled rice on soaking
2. Grind soaked Boiled rice and fresh grated coconut in the mixer adding about 1/2 glass of water to a medium coarse consistency .
3. Transfer the ground idli batter to a bowl and mix cooking soda, salt, chopped green chillies, ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves and grated cashews to the idli batter. Stir well.
Ground idli batter with toppings
4. Grease the idli moulds and immediately fill in the batter.
Idli moulds being filled with batter
5. Place the filled moulds in the cooker and steam it for about 20 minutes till done
Steamed Boiled Rice Idlies
6. Enjoy hot with your favorite chutney, chutney powder and sambar
Ready to serve Boiled rice idlies with chutney & chutney powder
Time taken (other than soaking): 30 minutes
Number of Idlis: 20 Idlies