In my childhood we were preparing different varieties of papads at home since it was not at all available in the markets. Now-a-days we get almost all varieties of papads in the supermarkets. This spicy papad is made of Blackgram dal, Chili powder, asafoetida, soda and salt. Long time since I have prepared these at home. I bought these papads and prepared the favorite kosambari today. We call it “Happla kismuri” in Konkani. Again it is a monsoon delight. It tastes great when dry roasted. The reason being the pleasant combined aroma of dal and asafoetida is felt far and wide and more so with a drop of coconut oil.
What you need to have:
1. Red spicy papads – 6-8
2. Onion(medium) – 1
3. Fresh grated coconut – 2-3 Tablespoons
4. Chopped coriander leaves – 2 Tablespoons
5. Lemon juice – 1 Teaspoon
6. Salt – To taste
Ingredients of Red Papad Kosambari
What you do with what you have:
1. Dry roast Red papads on the gas as shown in the image below.
Red papad being roasted
3. Dry roast all papads needed for the kosambari one after the other and it is as shown in the image below. When hot apply a drop of coconut oil to the wholle papad.(it spreads to the whole papad since hot)
Dry roasted Spicy papads
4. Wash, peal and chop onion, coriander leaves fine, grate coconut and also powder roasted papads into pieces and set it aside.
Ingredients of Papad kosambari
5. Just before serving mix chopped onion, salt, grated coconut and squeeze lemon juice to it and mix it properly with your hands. Finally add powdered papad from step 4 to it. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves to it and serve with dal and rice or even curd rice. Oh yeah my mouth is watering even as I am putting up the recipe !
Ready to serve Happla Kismuri
Number of servings: 2 people
How long it takes: 20 minutes
Good to know:
1. We can also prepare this kosambari with deep fried papads. Now-a-days people do the same thing due to the shortage of time. Actually prefered is dry roasted papads only for this dish.
2. Lemon juice is added for extra flavour.
3. Since I have sprinkled coconut oil to the roasted papads i have not added oil at the end.
4. Green chilly is optional though some people who need the dish to be spicy it is preferable to chop and and add green chillies. It is the hot favorite of the G.S.B homes !