This is submitted as an entry to the Regional Cuisine of India Contest
Sprouted lentils is really good from the health point of view. I normally prepare Sprouted green gram dishes at least once in a week since it is the favorite in my family. Today I would like to put up a simple dish which is ideal and easy for starters. It is called usli in Konkani and Sundal in Tamil. Now a days sprouted lentils are available readily in the super markets and so you need not take the trouble to sprout them at home although I normally sprout it at home itself for quality and freshness. This dish can be prepared for evening tiffin or breakfast or a lunch side dish. Here goes:
What you need to have:
1. Sprouted Greengram(Moong) – 2 cups
2. Fresh grated coconut – 2 Tablespoon
3. Chopped coriander leaves – 2 Tablespoons
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Blackgram Dal – 1 Teaspoon
3. Cumin seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
4. Asafoetida powder – 1 Teaspoon
5. Chopped Green chillies – 2-3
6. Curry leaves – 2 Strands
Sprouted Green gram
Ingredients of Sprouted Green gram usli
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and deskin sprouted moong and cook directly on the flame in 2 cups of water till it is just smooth as shown in the image above. Maybe you can add a little salt so that it is not over cooked.
2. Wash and cut green chillies, chop coriander leaves, grate coconut. Wash curry leaves and seperate it from the stem and keep aside.
3. Place a skillet with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated, add mustard seeds to it. When it starts sputtering add Blackgram dal to it.
4. When done add cumin seeds, Asafoetida powder, chopped green chillies and curry leaves one after the other.
5. Lastly add cooked green gram from step 1 to it. Add grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves from step 2 and also salt after checking for salt.
Ready to serve Green gram Usli is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Sprouted Green gram Usli
Time taken ; 45 minutes
Serves : 3-4 people