Palak dishes need no introduction. They are prepared in various varieties. I have already put up Dal Palak (uses Toor Dal) which is a very simple dish and not to mention very popular on this blog. Today I would like to put up yet another dish of palak in combination with Moong dal and hopefully this dish will also be widely appreciated. Palak-Moongdal masala is a great side-dish for all kinds of rotis and even rice.
Another variation on this dish which I put up earlier uses Vali Bhajji (Malabar Spinach/Basale Sappu).
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Palak – 4 cups
2. Split Moong Dal – 1/3 cup
3. Water to cook – 1 and 1/2 cup
Ingredients of Moong Dal Palak Masala
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Chopped Onions – 2/3 Cup
2. Chopped Tomatoes – 1 Tablespoon (Medium size -1)
3. Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 Teaspoon
4. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
5. Chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon
6. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
7. Garam masala powder – 1 Teaspoon
Chopped corriander leaves – A Handful
Ingredients of Seasoning & Topping
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop palak fine. Wash Moong Dal 2-3 times and cook it together in the cooker adding required quantity of water, a pinch of salt and turmeric powder as usual for about 20 minutes. The cooked dal with palak is here below.
Cooked Moong Dal with Plak
2. Wash and chop onions, tomatoes and corriander leaves fine and keep it aside.
3. Place a skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on a medium flame. When heated, add cumin seeds to it. When it sputters add chopped onions and add requireed quantity of salt to it.
4. When done add chopped tomatoes and stir fry for a while. Add ginger-garlic paste to it. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala powder one after the other and stir fry on a low flame.
5. On lowering the flame, add cooked Moong Dal palak mix from step 1 to the seasoning and stir well continuously so that it doesn’t get burnt. Add salt if required and bring it to boil.
Decorate it with chopped Corriander leaves and the dish is ready now to be served
Ready to serve Palak-Moongdal Masala
How long it takes: 45 Minutes
Number of servings: 3-4