This is a request recipe by a few of the viewers for a while now. Tomatoes are used in our daily life in so many recipes like the Rasam, soups, salad and even the Tomato Burfi ! Today I would like to put up tomato chutney. Goes very well with idlis in fact I personally prefer this chutney more than the others.
Here then goes the 10th variety of wet chutneys on this blog !
What you need to have:
1. Tomatoes -2-3
2. Onion – 1
3. Garlic pods 5-6
4. Curry leaves -2-3 strings
5. Fresh grated coconut – 4 Tablespoons
6. Red chillies – 2-3
7. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
8. Bengalgram Dal – 1 Tablespoon
9. Salt – to taste
10. Cooking Oil – 4-5 Teaspoons
Ingredients of Tomato chutney
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop tomatoes, grate coconut, peal and chop onion, also peal garlic pods and keep it aside.
2. Place a skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. When heated fry Bengalgram dal in it till light brown and keep it aside.
3. To the same oil add cumin seeds. When it sputters add red chillies and curry leaves.
4. Now add chopped onions from step 1 and a little salt to it and saute till transparent.
5. Add chopped tomatoes from step 1 to it and saute till the mixture turns mushy.
6. Finally add grated coconut from step 1 to it and just stir it for a while also add fried Bengalgram dal from step 2 to it and switch off the heat. Allow it to cool. Add garlic pods and coriander leaves as well to it. The mixture would look like something below.
The Mushy tomato chutney mix
7. Transfer the above chutney mix into blender/mixer bowl adding sufficient quantity of salt, water and grind it to required consistency.
Ready to serve chutney is here below. One can even season it with mustard, red chili and curry leaves.
Ready to serve Tomato chutney
Enjoy with idlis or with Dosa as well. One can even enjoy it with paratas.
Ready to serve Tomato chutney with Idlis
How long it takes: 20 mins
Serves: 5-6 people